- 10 - 10:45 a.m.
- 10 - 10:45 a.m.
- 1 - 2 p.m.
Elena Adell specializes in contemporary Latin American literature and film, with a focus on Cuban intellectual history (19th century to the present) —more specifically on narrative and visual arts. Her research and teaching interests are in the areas of postcolonial and cultural studies, with a focus on new developments on the idea of citizenship in Latin America and on the role of the intellectual in civil society.
Her most recent work analyzes the “aesthetics of violence” in Cuban novelists and independent filmmakers. Adell is also currently working on the analysis and interpretation of filmic texts set during periods of democratization.
She was awarded the 2013-2014 award for Teaching Excellence in the Humanities at UNC Asheville.
Universidad de Valladolid (Spain)
M.A., Ph.D., Spanish
The University of Georgia
- Undergraduate Research in Spanish.
- Senior Seminar.
- Hispanic Studies / La revolución cubana: interpretación de textos culturales. [taught both online and in a synchronous fashion].
- Spanish-American Literatures from Modernism through the 21st Century.
- Hispanic Film.
- Special Topics in Spanish / Caribbean Literature.
- Survey of Spanish-American Civilization and Literature.
- Composition and Introduction to Literature.
- Intermediate Spanish I, II.
- Elementary Spanish I, II.
- Special Topics in Spanish / Spanish for beginners at Avery Mitchell Correctional and Craggy Correctional.
- Special Topics in Spanish / Spanish for beginners and Hispanic Civilization and Culture at Mountain View Correctional.
- Undergraduate Research in Honors.
- Latin American Film.
- Contemporary Latino Literature and Culture.
- Latin American Literature / Specialization: Cuban narrative & Film
- Caribbean Literature
- Latin American Film / Postcolonial Studies
- All levels of Spanish Language Instruction
- Teaching of Spanish Language and Culture in the Penitentiary Institution Environment
- "Hacia una estética de lo violento en Las bestias de Ronaldo Menéndez y en La sombra del caminante de Ena Lucía Portela." Cuban Intersections of Literary and Urban Spaces. Ed. Carlos Riobó. SUNY Press, 2011. pp. 97-111.
- “Representaciones del intelectual en la literatura de los novísimos escritores cubanos: Ronaldo Menéndez, Ricardo Arrieta y la agrupación El establo”. Chasqui. Revista de literatura latinoamericana. Volumen 39, 1. Mayo, 2010. pp. 45-63.